EKU @ (3) Jacksonville State

jaxstatealum

Re: EKU @ (3) Jacksonville State

Post by jaxstatealum »

You never catch this Gamecock off guard. You guys have a helluva tradition and always scare the crap outta me.

I think we win, but not easy. Too much pride from your guys to give it to us. We will be ready. Our D is maybe the best we have ever had, but they too can have an off game. Cocks by 10.....

Always look forward to playing Eastern!!
Bam

Post by Bam »

From Hero Sports:

Ohio Valley Conference leader Jacksonville State is 4-0 against the FCS and its schedule once again looks favorable for it to go 10-0 against the FCS with a lone loss only to a Power Five team (Georgia Tech).
Mess with the devil and get the horns
Westside

Post by Westside »

Anybody watch the latest Inside EKU Sports video? I fell a lot better Coach Elder said they just had a few things to clean up. Boy, I feel much better now. It's not like he has ever said that before.
kernfan

Post by kernfan »

Westside wrote:Anybody watch the latest Inside EKU Sports video? I fell a lot better Coach Elder said they just had a few things to clean up. Boy, I feel much better now. It's not like he has ever said that before.
Westside thank you so much for this. If you put his questionable coaching aside, the most frustrating thing about him is what he constantly says in interviews. First off with what Westside pointed out, every time he's on the radio or inside EKU he always says, "the problems are obvious" & "we will clean that up this week in practice". If they are that obvious and he's been saying since week 1 that "we are going to clean that up", why hasn't it been??? Secondly, he is always super quick to say the other teams offense or defense is "really really good" and I'm telling you he says that about every player on the opposing teams. Go watch and you will hear it in EVERY SINGLE ONE. I'm not sure if he does this to temper expectations about the teams we are playing or he truly believes that we are simply not on the level a SEMO or Tenn St is? By his estimation we have the hardest strength of schedule of any OVC team in history.
FGColonel

Post by FGColonel »

kernfan wrote:
Westside wrote:Anybody watch the latest Inside EKU Sports video? I fell a lot better Coach Elder said they just had a few things to clean up. Boy, I feel much better now. It's not like he has ever said that before.
Westside thank you so much for this. If you put his questionable coaching aside, the most frustrating thing about him is what he constantly says in interviews. First off with what Westside pointed out, every time he's on the radio or inside EKU he always says, "the problems are obvious" & "we will clean that up this week in practice". If they are that obvious and he's been saying since week 1 that "we are going to clean that up", why hasn't it been??? Secondly, he is always super quick to say the other teams offense or defense is "really really good" and I'm telling you he says that about every player on the opposing teams. Go watch and you will hear it in EVERY SINGLE ONE. I'm not sure if he does this to temper expectations about the teams we are playing or he truly believes that we are simply not on the level a SEMO or Tenn St is? By his estimation we have the hardest strength of schedule of any OVC team in history.
Every Coach I have every heard talks about how good the opposing team is. Coach Kidd made Austin Peay sound like Alabama or Ohio State before we played them. His famous quote was. "this team is for real this year. We will have to play our best to beat them" But really, what do you want Coach Elder to say. We are a young team that makes a lot of mistakes but we are not going to address them and hope they go away then he can say. This week we our out manned and probably be out coached again so we will probably get blown out. Not defending his record. I agree we should have won the last two games. But his on air interviews at not the problem, it is just Coach Talk. Listen to the weekly interviews with the other OVC coaches. All along the same lines.
EKU A Matter of Pride
2 National Championships
4 National Championship Games
22 Playoff Appearances
21 OVC Conference Titles
Westside

Post by Westside »

FGColonel wrote:
kernfan wrote:
Every Coach I have every heard talks about how good the opposing team is. Coach Kidd made Austin Peay sound like Alabama or Ohio State before we played them. His famous quote was. "this team is for real this year. We will have to play our best to beat them" But really, what do you want Coach Elder to say. We are a young team that makes a lot of mistakes but we are not going to address them and hope they go away then he can say. This week we our out manned and probably be out coached again so we will probably get blown out. Not defending his record. I agree we should have won the last two games. But his on air interviews at not the problem, it is just Coach Talk. Listen to the weekly interviews with the other OVC coaches. All along the same lines.

My problem is every week he says we made a few mistakes and we just need to get them cleaned up and every week the SAME mistakes are committed. Like I have said in numerous other threads, some of this stuff is middle school stuff that has been happening since he got here, and I have seen absolutely nothing cleaned up yet. Could I do a better job? Neck no, but for $300,000 a year or whatever he is getting he should be able to clean the basic stuff up.
Last edited by Westside on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Westside

Post by Westside »

I don't have a problem with him making every team sound like Alabama. I do remember one year EKU was going to be playing Morehead State, and on the Roy Kidd show Greg Stottlemeyer said something about the possibility of Morehead winning and mentioned the upset they had pulled against the Colonels in 1990. Coach Kidd basically said this Morehead team had nowhere near the talent and wouldn't be pulling the upset.
Eternal Colonel

Post by Eternal Colonel »

...lot of frustration in these parts.

I share it.

Yes, we've had a lot of sunshine blown up our britches
since early '16; and we're getting tired of it-given the losses.

That said, Elder isn't stupid, and he's likely tired of
saying the same thing to the alums and boosters; not to
mention his staff and the young men they coach.

I do not know how or if our program will turn around;
I hope it is with Mark Elder and it is this season, but in all
candor, I just don't see the latter at this point; the former
is becoming more doubtful.
Bam

Post by Bam »

Aniother damn thing to remember about this game is this! :evil:

Jacksonville State enters the week with a 26-game OVC winning streak, tied with Eastern Kentucky (1992-95) for the longest streak in Conference history (and second-longest streak in FCS history). So if the COCKS win they are the new holders of the record!!!!! :oops: :evil:
Mess with the devil and get the horns
FGColonel

Post by FGColonel »

Westside wrote:I don't have a problem with him making every team sound like Alabama. I do remember one year EKU was going to be playing Morehead State, and on the Roy Kidd show Greg Stottlemeyer said something about the possibility of Morehead winning and mentioned the upset they had pulled against the Colonels in 1990. Coach Kidd basically said this Morehead team had nowhere near the talent and wouldn't be pulling the upset.
I also remember Coach Kidd saying "We come out ready to play. More head State may be the best 2 and 8 team in the country." : :shock: To which I responded. ....Huh?
EKU A Matter of Pride
2 National Championships
4 National Championship Games
22 Playoff Appearances
21 OVC Conference Titles