CSN Message Boards

The place to talk about anything Colonel Athletics but not related to a specific sport.
RollKerns

CSN Message Boards

Post by RollKerns »

I tried to make an account after some really interesting discussion on the CUSA board about public universities in Kentucky but it doesn't work. This is the second time I have tried.

1. Does anyone know anything about it? There's a decent chance I am doing something wrong
2. I live in Eastern Kentucky, and its hard balancing the idea of supporting students in Appalachia while also knowing that if we had another public university in EKY that it could really impact the enrollment at EKU. Just a random thought I couldn't share anywhere else. I am not sure if anybody doubles in this group and that one.
Steve 82

Re: CSN Message Boards

Post by Steve 82 »

RollKerns wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:16 pm I tried to make an account after some really interesting discussion on the CUSA board about public universities in Kentucky but it doesn't work. This is the second time I have tried.

1. Does anyone know anything about it? There's a decent chance I am doing something wrong
2. I live in Eastern Kentucky, and its hard balancing the idea of supporting students in Appalachia while also knowing that if we had another public university in EKY that it could really impact the enrollment at EKU. Just a random thought I couldn't share anywhere else. I am not sure if anybody doubles in this group and that one.
I am on that board. I have not checked out the info yet that the Western fan brought up.
dljordaneku

Post by dljordaneku »

RollKerns wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:16 pm I tried to make an account after some really interesting discussion on the CUSA board about public universities in Kentucky but it doesn't work. This is the second time I have tried.

Can you provide a link to the post?

dj
Steve 82

Post by Steve 82 »

dljordaneku

Post by dljordaneku »

Found this story about it.
Higher Ed Drive story

Here is my post about it in the other forum.
This might be the best option(talking about taking the EKU Manchester campus and making it a full university with dorms). That location could serve the Pike County area as well as the Knox and Bell County area but Corbin can cover that already. I don't see a new major university doing much in the Barbourville/Corbin area right now. While Union is private, the story I found didn't list the University of the Cumberlands which is in the next county over in Whitley County. While it is a private university, its tuition cost is on par with the regional public universities already. They slashed their tuition rates a couple of years ago by almost 60%.
The story did say one of the options could be to pay for a private school and make it public. I would think UPike would be the best option there again due to Cumberland.
Southeastern Ky can be looked at as two different regions with the Barbourville/Corbin/Middlesboro area being one area while the Pikeville/Prestonsburg/Painstville as being another. Traveling between these two areas is not a fun trip. I made the trip between Paintsville and Barbourville several times and if the weather is bad at all, might as well not take the trip. Getting students to want to go from one of these areas to another will be a tough task.
dj
RollKerns

Post by RollKerns »

I just love the very thought of it. But I live in Middlesboro currently and honestly what you said is almost perfect and how even though we are the same "region" Middlesboro, Harlan, and Barbourville (I kind of consider Corbin, London and Williamsburg southern Kentucky but that is semantics). We have private colleges all around us, Lincoln Memorial in East TN five minutes away, Union and UC. EKU Corbin would serve a lot more of our students in Bell County if they offered more classes or full degree programs. Just a thought. Or if EKU just made their online programs more affordable. Online is the way of the future and it costing more is not the answer.

However, I still can't figure out how to make an account on CSNBBS. It won't ever send a conformation email even to trash or spam. Just weird. Guess I'll read and just share it with you guys. lol
dljordaneku

Post by dljordaneku »

RollKerns wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:16 pm ... and honestly what you said is almost perfect
Well, I did live in Barbourville for close to 20 years so I know a bit about the area. :)
RollKerns wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:16 pm ... Lincoln Memorial in East TN five minutes away

I forgot about LMU.
RollKerns wrote: Tue Aug 01, 2023 11:16 pm EKU Corbin would serve a lot more of our students in Bell County if they offered more classes or full degree programs.
I think expanding Corbin or Manchester would be the best option.

dj