EKU Wikipedia Page

The place to talk about anything Colonel Athletics but not related to a specific sport.
EKU05

EKU Wikipedia Page

Post by EKU05 »

I've checked the University's Wikipedia page a few times recently for some facts and figures, and in the process I noticed that it's terrible. We should really have someone in media relations following up on this kind of thing.

-The main EKU page has pulled a lot of the regular info into part of a chart about fraternities. Half of the page is a giant formatting error.

-The picture of Roy Kidd Stadium on its page still features an image from when it had natural grass. No changes since 2009 are referenced in any way including the new visitors' side.

-Alumni Coliseum is similarly outdated both in pictures and description. All of the pictures still feature the version of the floor that had black lanes with maroon basketballs around the free throw area. Certainly there is no mention of the coming renovations.

-No page for Earle Combs stadium even exists. There is a one-line mention of "major renovations in 2016," but the page is still only named for Turkey Hughes Field.

And then we wonder why people have an outdated perception of EKU.
Colonel12

Re: EKU Wikipedia Page

Post by Colonel12 »

Good thing about Wikipedia is anyone can update it for free.
Minority owner of the 2021 World Series Champions Atlanta Braves.

Father of 8U Richmond Fastpitch Club Fall Champion
EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Colonel12 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:47 pm Good thing about Wikipedia is anyone can update it for free.
They can, but my guess is that this kind of thing falls under the purview of someone's job that they're paid to do. I work at a high school and we have a staff member responsible for this kind of thing.

And if it's not someone's job, it should be when you're talking about such a high traffic site.
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

Being how old it is I would bet Wikipedia is not in anyone job description. Nor is anyone at EKU monitoring their wiki page.

EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

Colonel12 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:46 pm Being how old it is I would bet Wikipedia is not in anyone job description. Nor is anyone at EKU monitoring their wiki page.
Well most of our peer universities have a pristine and beautiful page for both their school and its facilities. It's also one of the most heavily trafficked sites in the world. Age does not inherently correlate with relevancy. If you want old, negative perceptions to go away, it would make sense you'd make sure that if people do go casually looking to reinforce their outdated view of your university that the information they find doesn't cooperate.
RollKerns

Post by RollKerns »

I love Wikipedia. It is a secret passion of mine. I have noticed this about the wikipedia page. I have tried to update the football page from time to time, but I honestly really don't know what I am doing. I'd nearly be willing to pay somebody myself to make it look nice, because I think it is arguably more important than the organization website. I will take a look see if I can get it fixed
dljordaneku

Post by dljordaneku »

Colonel12 wrote: Fri Oct 21, 2022 3:47 pm Good thing about Wikipedia is anyone can update it for free.
And the bad thing about Wikipedia is anyone can update it for free. LOL

dj
Colonel12

Post by Colonel12 »

dljordaneku wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:14 am

dj
That is true.

EKU05

Post by EKU05 »

dj
It used to be a little more of a "Wild West" than it is now. It's much harder to just vandalize a page than it was in the old days when Daniel Tosh was encouraging fans to do it for the "Tosh.0" page. Most analysis has shown that Wikipedia tends to have accuracy rates as good or better than any other encyclopedia. It's a great quick-reference source. Obviously you would never cite anything identified as an encyclopedia in a credible, formal research situation.
dljordaneku

Post by dljordaneku »

EKU05 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:54 am

dj
It used to be a little more of a "Wild West" than it is now. It's much harder to just vandalize a page than it was in the old days when Daniel Tosh was encouraging fans to do it for the "Tosh.0" page. Most analysis has shown that Wikipedia tends to have accuracy rates as good or better than any other encyclopedia. It's a great quick-reference source. Obviously you would never cite anything identified as an encyclopedia in a credible, formal research situation.
Yeah. I always view it knowing that it may or may not be accurate but it is a good starting point for any information.

dj